TIE Residence Cards

Residence Cards - Tarjeta identificacion Extranjero (TIE)

The Royal Decree 240/2007 requires that everybody planning to reside in Spain for more than six months should obtain a Residence Certificate or Card at the local Oficina de Extranjeros.  The TIE card is issued to Non-EU foreigners legally resident in Spain, hence it is a useful document to have to prove your status.

Since July 2020 British Nationals who have or will take up residence before 31-01-2020 must apply for a special version of the TIE which confirms their status under the EU-UK withdrawl agreement. British residents who already have the green EU Certificate (or older residence card) are not obliged to obtain the new card.



How to Apply for a TIE Tarjeta identificacion Extranjero

Applications for TIE are made for at any local Foreigners Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or Comisaría General de Extranjeras y Fronteras office at a National Police station in the province of intended residence. List for Andalucia. This must be done within three months of entering Spain, those with a Visa within one month. 

You will need to make an appointment at the office (usually online), instructions of how to do this are also posted on the door or notice board of the local office. The standard application form is model EX-17   (British nationals already resident before 31-12-2020 who are applying on the basis of article 50 of the UK-EU Withdrawal Agreement should apply on the similar EX-20, Students on the similar   

At the appointment you should present:
Valid passport, (with Visa for non-EU Nationals) plus photocopy of photo page.
Application form, completed and signed plus photocopy
Three recent colour passport style photographs
Bank cashier stamped Model 790 Code 012 document to prove you have paid have paid the fee. (About 22€) (Complete and generate PDF online, print and take to any bank to pay before the appointment. Do not photocopy as it has a unique barcode) .
Green EU National Residence Certificate (Britsh exchanging this for the new TIE) (Some centres collect this on application others on collection).
Resolution document granting authorisation to be issued with the TIE document. (Non-EU Nationals but not British exchanging certificate.)

Your finger prints will be taken and you will be given a date stamped application confirmation sheet and   asked to return in one month to collect the card. There are local variations to the document required. 

Since the 10th July 2012, EU Nationals applying for a Residence Certificate will be also asked for proof of sufficient financial means to support themselves (and any dependents) and evidence of private or public healthcare insurance.

Once registered you will be issued with a TIE Card stating your name, address, nationality, NIE number (Número de Identificación Extranjeros – Foreign Resident Identification Number) and date of registration.

For more information on the paperwork required, see the Ministerio del Interior website or the National Police Website.

Old Residence Cards and Certificated

Up until 2007, a residence card (Residencia) used to be required by anyone wishing to live in Spain more than six months out of the year. This system is no longer used. Now, those wishing to reside in Spain for a period longer than 3 months must register for a TIE Tarjeta Identificaccion Extranjera (Foreign Residents Identification Card). Beteen 2007 and 2019 foreign residents were issued with a green Residence Certificate at the local police station or Oficina de Extranjeros.


Income Tax

Contrary to what some people believe, irrespective of whether you have the new ole style residence paper or not, if you remain in Spain for more than 182 days in a calendar year the Spanish government will regard you as a resident for tax purposes, thus liable to pay income tax on your world-wide income.