Non-EU National

Non-EU Citizens wishing to reside in Spain

Here are the main legal aspects to consider if you are a non-EU National moving to Spain. The EU National page relates to a EU National moving to Spain.

The first thing for a Non-EU National to do is to obtain a residence visa "visado de residencia" from the consulate, in your home country before you leave.

This is different from the Schengen Area Tourist Visa that some non-EU National need to obtain to travel in Spain for up to 90 days.

There are several different types of Residence Visa depending on your circumstances. It is at this stage when the Spanish authorities examine your circumstances and funds.  Sort stay visa of up to 90 days can be extended at the Oficinas de Extranjería y Comisarías de Policía.

When the duration of the stay in Spain is greater than six months one must apply for a TIE card at the Brigada Provincial de Extranjería y Fronteras ( part of Ministerio del Interior) withing one month of arriving in Spain. This does not apply to temporary workers. (Visado de residencia y trabajo de temporada).



Here is information about the different authorisations on the Spanish Government Migration Ministry website for Non-EU  Nationals.

Having obtained a visa you are practically assured to obtain  residence in Spain.

On arrival in Spain you will need to open a Spanish bank account to receive your funds.


Brexit has instigated a number of changes of UK National as visitors to the EU and Andalucia and present and future UK National residents and home-owners of Andalucia.   There are also changes for… More →

The 'Long term Visa or 'National Visa' is a collective name for the many different Visas that can be applied for by Non-EU Nationals who wish to reside, work or Study in Spain.'

The Spanish Golden Visa is a special resident Visa directed towards Non-EU nationals investing in Spain as part of Europe. 

When a Non-EU National takes up residence in Spain they may import their household possessions free of customs duty. This is a once only concession. It is not dependent on the purchase of property… More →

EU citizens are allowed to use their home country drivers' licenses whilst a tourist in Spain. If you are living in Spain and use your home country drivers' licenses you may be asked to document… More →

Both unlicensed drivers and many non-EU citizens are required to take a driving test in order to obtain the Spanish license required of all residents in this country. If the test is available in… More →

The Royal Decree 240/2007 requires that everybody planning to reside in Spain for more than six months should obtain a Residence Certificate or Card at the local Oficina de Extranjeros.  The TIE… More →

I am the proud holder of a Spanish driver’s license. You cannot imagine how proud. I can't tell how much it cost me – I went into denial once I hit four figures (in pounds). Learning to drive is a… More →

Foreign currency issues can have a significant impact on the cost of your purchase. In securing property abroad, purchasers are likely to spend more time searching for the right property via their… More →




Living in Andalucia