Non-EU Driving Licences

Non-EU Driving Licences

Tourists and Non Residents

Non-EU Nationals are allowed to use their home country drivers' licenses whilst a tourist in Spain.




Once you become a resident in Spain you must have a Spanish Driving License.

If you are living in Spain and use your home country drivers' license, you may be asked to document your absence from Spain in the last six months.

reciprocal agreements

A few countries have a reciprocal agreement with Spain to exchange driving licenses. If this is the case you follow the same procedure as a EU national licence.

Many others such as United States, Canada, Switzerland, Australia drivers are required to start at the beginning, join a driving school and take a driving test - just like any Spaniard except at the end of each class unlike the other students you will probably get in your car and drive away!

UK Licences and Brexit

Location of DGT offices

International Driving Permit

If a Spanish resident with a Spanish driving license who wishes to drive outside the European Union, the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) should obtain an international permit. An international permit issued in Spain is not valid for use in Spain. The cost is 10.51€ and the permit is valid for one year. it can be obtained from the DGT. More info and download of applications form.

Note: An EU resident in spain that has registered their national licence with the DGT, can apply for a spanish international driving permit.