Cars and Motoring - Importing a Car

Importing a Car

Any EU or Non EU citizen taking up residence in Spain will be exempt from Import Duties, IVA (16%), Car registration tax (12% or 7%).

To benefit from the above is that you must have owned the car for at least six months, and you must obtain a certificate of "baja de residence" from your old town hall if that is possible, if not from your countries consulate in Spain.

The procedure must be started not later than one month after your residence permit is granted.

You will also need the services of a Gestor because the procedure is very complicated. Even without the above tax break the cost will be of the order of 500 euros to 1000 euros.