Header Banner - Google Adsense

EU Nationals

EU Nationals

Here are the main legal aspects to consider if you are a EU National moving to Andalucia or Spain. Read this page if you are a Non-EU National.



Residing in Spain for EU Nationals

The freedom of movement is guaranteed for EU Nationals and the procedures required to remain permanently are quite simple. You will still have to demonstrate entitlement by means of financial support and a means of health care.

According to the ROYAL DECREE 240/2007, the following persons may reside in Spain:

Citizens of Members States of the EU (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, Finland, France, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Portugal, Poland and Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden) or countries, which are part of the European Economic Area Agreement (EEA)(Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) who are employed or self employed or who are entitled to the right to reside permanently.

This also applies to the above mentioned groups’:
*common law partner
*direct descendents

We use the term having or obtaining 'residence' or residenciai> to mean having the correct permisions to be a legal resident in Andalucia or Spain. To prove this status you may be issued with a Residence Card or a Residence Certificate or a Foreign Residents Identification Card - TIE (Tarjeta Identification Extranjero).

Anyone who spends more than 182 days a year in Spain will be considered by Spain a resident whether they have obtained a formal residence card (permit) or not.

EU Pensioners

Any EU national who is a pensioner, that can prove they are receiving the minimum EU state pension will be able to obtain "Residencia".

A pensioner should obtain a EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) from their own country to enable them to register for Spanish state medical care. As a pensioner, you and your family members are entitled to medical treatment in the EU country where you reside, in accordance with the legislation of that country. The cost of the medical treatment is always borne by the EU country which pays the pension.

EU Workers

EU Workers can arrive in Spain and begin looking for a job. When they obtain employment or set up in business they will affiliate to the Spanish State Social security (Seguridad Social). They can now complete the paperwork for residence.

EU Others

Non Pensioned EU nationals who have decided to move to Andalucia who do not intend to work will need to demonstrate sufficient income or sufficient funds to support themselves. They will also be required to obtain private medical insurance.

EU citizens are allowed to use their home country drivers' licenses while on holidays in Spain, residents have two options. Once you become a resident in Spain, you can head to your… More →




Living in Andalucia