Legal Aspects

Legal Aspects

Here are the main legal aspects to consider if you are going to move to Spain.

Residing in Spain

If you move to Spain much will depend on whether you are an EU citizen or not.

EU Citizens

The freedom of movement is guaranteed for EU citizens and the procedures required to remain permanently are quite simple. You will still have to demonstrate means of support and a means of health care.

Anyone who spends more than 182 days a year in Spain will be considered a resident whether they have obtained a formal residence permit or not.

EU Pensioners

Any EU pensioner that can prove they are receiving the minimum EU state pension will be able to obtain a "Residencia".

A pensioner should obtain a form E-121 from their own country to enable them to transfer their rights to state medical care.

EU Workers

EU Workers can arrive in Spain and begin looking for a job. When they obtain employment or set up in business they will affiliate to the Spanish State social security. They can now complete the paperwork for a residents permit.

EU Others

Non Pensioned EU citizens who have decided to move to Andalucia who do not intend to work will need to demonstrate sufficient income or sufficient funds to support them. They will also need to obtain private medical insurance.

Non EU Citizens

The situation for Non EU citizens is more complicated. The first thing to do is to obtain a residence visa "visado de residencia" from the consulate in your home country before you leave.

There are several different types of visa depending on your circumstances. It is at this stage when the Spanish authorities examine your circumstances and funds.

Having obtained a visa you are practically guaranteed to obtain a residence permit in Spain. On arrival in Spain you will need to open a Spanish bank
account to receive your funds. As a guide to retire in Spain you will need to show an income of about 10.000 euros per person. To set up a business you will need an investment of about 100.000 euros.

Residence Card - How to apply?

Importing Possessions
There are only formalities for Non EU citizens.

Importing Pets
Have your pet vaccinated and issued with a health certificate.

Importing Cars
It is a complex procedure to import a car but new residents receive important tax breaks.

Importing Electrical Goods
All major brands of electrical good are available in Spain so
it is not actually necessary to import anything.

Health and Social Security
You and your family are probably entitled to free or subsidised medical and dental treatment on the same terms as Spaniards.

Buying a Property
Financial and legal advice as well as general information
related to buying, selling or building a home in Spain.

Renting a property
There are two types of rentals in Spain: short term and long term.

The "padron" or "certificado de empadronamiento" refers to the process of registering with the town hall as a resident of your municipality.

Buying a Car

Driving Licenses (EU)
As an EU driver you can use the document issued by your home country to obtain a Spanish driver's license.

Driving Tests (NON EU)
Each individual's situation depends on the country in question and the international or other agreements it might have with the Spanish government.

Finding a School
For most parents re-locating to Spain, their primary concern is where to educate their children.

More about living in Andalucia than moving to Andalucia but as they are one of life's certainties you should be aware of them sooner than later


Living in Andalucia