by Saskia Mier
Dos Torres has a unique gothic style church, Iglesia de la Asunción, with a Mudejar-coffered ceiling. The town has about 2,400 inhabitants.
The origins of Dos Torres date to the Middle Ages, around the fourteenth and fifteenth century; however, the territory was already populated during Palaeolithic and Roman times. The towns that became the current municipality were Torremilano and Torrefranca.
In the middle of the fourteenth century, Torremilano was no more than a tower located on the demarcation line of Santa Eufemia with the municipality of Córdoba. The isolated tower that was Torremilano until the last quarter of the fourteenth century was populated by inhabitants until the birth of a new town. In the mid-fifteenth century, most of the town belonged to Córdoba, leaving only a small neighbourhood owned by the Lord of Santa Eufemia, Don Gonzalo Messía Carrillo II.
While Torremilano maintained "realengo" jurisdiction, in 1481 Gonzalo Messía gave his neighbourhood the name of Torrefranca. Don Gonzalo's desire for power caused several conflicts and led to the construction of a dividing wall between both villas. Torremilano formed part of the seven villas of the Pedroche, which in 1660 were passed on to the Marquises of El Carpio until 1747, when they passed back to the Crown.
In 1839, Torrefranca and Torremilano joined to form Dos Torres, which together with Pedroche is one of the oldest towns in the area.
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia de la Asunción
The late-Gothic church dates to the fifteenth century and was modified substantially in the sixteenth century. The Baroque altarpiece was introduced in the eighteenth century. The church is architecturally remarkable and quite dignified from an artistic point of view. Located in Plaza de la Villa.
Iglesia de Santiago
The church was erected by Don Gonzalo Messía Carrillo III, Lord of Santa Eufemia y la Guardia, in the fifteenth century and is the most important monument from the ancient village of Torrefranca that survives today. Currently the House of Culture. Located on Calle Santiago.
Ermita de San Bartolomé
The chapel dates to the sixteenth century, reflecting the typical mountain style of the region's hermitages. Located on Calle de San Bartolomé.
Ermita de San Roque
The chapel dates back to the seventeenth century with an eighteenth century altarpiece formed by the remains of the previous organ of the Parish Church. The exterior surroundings are embellished with cobblestones as mosaics. Located on Calle San Roque.
Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Loreto (Santa Ana)
The chapel dates to the sixteenth century and tradition relates that, in 1587, a well-known doctor of the town, Doctor Cornejo, arrived from Italy, carrying on his horse an image of the Virgin of Loreto that Pope Gregory XIII had given him, in gratitude for having cured him of a serious illness. The image had fallen to the floor and, as Doctor Cornejo tried to pick it up, he realised that the Virgin had turned her head, meaning she wanted to remain in that place where the image had fallen by the chapel. Later, in the eighteenth century, it underwent a reformation comprising a series of specific works projects carried out on its structure. Located on Calle Virgen del Loreto.
Ermita del Santo Cristo
The seventeenth century chapel is built with granite masonry alternating with brick elements. The granite ashlars mark the corners and constitute the lateral abutments. Externally, except for the visible ashlars, the hermitage is completely trimmed and plastered with lime mortar. Located in Plaza de la Villa.
Plaza de Toros
The bullring was inaugurated on 14 August 1982. Located north of the village, on the CV-166.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
Ermita de San Sebastián
The chapel dates to the sixteenth century and is dedicated to San Sebastián, another of the Saints entrusted to the protection of epidemics, according to Christian iconography. There is a natural viewpoint that offers the best views of the town and its historic monuments. Pozo de Nieve is also close by. Located north-west of Dos Torres, off the CV-166.
Antigua Basílica Paleocristiana
Also known as Pozo de Nieve, the well dates from the first to the fourth century AD and is a significant construction because it is one of the few monuments of this type existing in Andalucía. The house that was built to enclose the well is quite exceptional, and was opened later in the eighteenth century. Located north-west of Dos Torres, off the CV-166.
Visitors to this village can continue exploring its natural environment, where the landscape provides a great hiking experience. The hiking routes available are Ruta de la Dehesa y La Ganderia, Ruta de Las Siete Villas, Ruta Dos Torres-Santa Eufemia, Ruta de la Arquitectura del Agua, Ruta de los Escudos and Ruta del Señorio de Santa Eufemia.
Typical dishes of Dos Torres are: rabo de toro en salsa (oxtail), migas tostás (fried bread served with chorizo and pork), morcilla casera de matanza (black pudding), berenjenas en vinagre (aubergine in vinegar), zanahorias en vinagre (carrots in vinegar), potaje (pork stew), sardinas en escabeche (marinated sardines) and lomo de orza (conserved pork loin). Sweet treats include gachas (creamed pudding with cinnamon, lemon and aniseed), resol (coffee and aniseed pudding), roscas and flores (sweet honey pastries).
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Fiesta de la Candelaria
Celebrated on 3 February.
Celebrated the Sunday after 3 February.
Celebrated in February.
Virgen de Loreto
Celebrated the first Sunday of May.
San Isidro y La Vaca de San Isidro
Celebrated the Sunday before 15 May.
Virgen de Guia
Celebrated on Pentecost Sunday.
Feria y Fiestas
Celebrated 15-19 August.
Celebrated on 24 August.