by Saskia Mier
El Guijo is a perfect destination for those seeking tranquillity. The Paraje del Soto is a beautiful landscape, home to the village church. The town has about 355 inhabitants.
Although human settlements in these lands date right back to ancient times, as can be seen in the archaeological sites of Majadahlesia, it is in the Middle Ages when this particular population of El Guijo was founded.
Inthe fourteenth century, El Guijo emerged as a village inPedroche, which was then the valley's capital. After the Re-Conquest, it became dependent on the Córdobajurisdiction,until 1492, when the Catholic Monarchs ruled some ordinances for the Valle de los Pedroches (Valley of the Pedroches).
At the end of the sixteenth century all the villages of the valley became dependent on the Marquis of Carpio, lasting two centuries. In 1747 the villas of Vallede los Pedroches were incorporated into the Crown. In 1293 El Guijowas integrated within the Lordship of Santa Eufemia.
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia de Santa Ana
The church was built during the sixteenth century by Hernán Ruiz III. The façade emphasises a series of voluminous buttresses and its interior holds an interesting image, Virgen Dolorosa, from the eighteenth century. Located in Plaza de la Constitución.
El Guijo still conserves one of the most everyday elements of the past: the pubic washing area. Not only used for laundry, the women also used it as a meeting point to chat while waiting for the men to return from cattle herding,and drink at the washng area's water source.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
Ermita de la Virgen de las Cruces
The chapel is set within a privileged enclave surrounded by nature and annexed to the most important archaeological site in the whole region, a place of worship from the most remote past, Yacimiento Arqueológico Majadaiglesia.Located within the Paraje del Soto, 6six kilometres north of El Guijo, off the CO-7100.
Yacimiento Arqueológico Majadaiglesia
The Majadaiglesia archaeological site is evidence of how physical activity has played a decisive role in the cultural development of the Pedroches region. Itssituation makes it a border between the Guadiana and Guadalquivir basins. The first known archaeological excavations in Majadachlesia were made around 1930 and were carried out in a particular way that led to these actions being stopped by the Toledoauthority. The remains belong to a hydraulic infrastructure from the Roman period.In 1981 and 1983, excavation samples were taken in the vicinity of the Ermita de las Cruces, led by the archaeologist Alejandro Marcos Pous. This intervention confirmed the existence of Celtiberian ceramics, so it was verified that the deposit was part of the Celtic Beturia of which Pliny the Elder spoke. Ceramics were also found by hand, very dark pastes and almost matte surfaces assigned to the Bronze Age. Located within the Paraje del Soto, six kilometres north of El Guijo, off the CO-7100.
Local dishes in El Guijo all derive from the pig and you will be able to sample anything from their cured sausages to stews usually served with chickpeas or white beans. If there is one thing particular well known in this village, it is the piñonate: a sweet treat, usually a favourite of all Spanish children, which consists of sweet dough shaped into small macaroni pieces and later mixed with honey. Once set, it is cut into squares.
For keen walkers, there are two main routes in the vicinity to explore:Ruta del Arroyo Santa María and Ruta del Despeñadero.
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Fiesta de la Candelaria
Celebrated on 2 February.
Celebrated on February.
Romería de la Virgen de las Cruces
Celebrated on Resurrection Sunday.
Celebrated on 15 May.
Celebrated on 29 June.
Feria y Fiestas de Santa Ana
Celebrated 25 and 26 July.
Cultural week celebrated the first week of August.
Fiesta Chica de la Virgen
Celebrated on 12 September.