HINOJOSA DEL DUQUE
by Saskia Mier
Hinojosa del Duque is home to many monuments of historical and artistic interest, and for this reason it is considered one of the most important sites in northern Córdoba. It has about 6,900 inhabitants.
Traces of prehistoric cultures are abundant throughout this territory, but it was during Roman times when the settlement exploited the mines, many of which were used again centuries later. During the Arab domination, Hinojosa del Duque, like the rest of the region, oriented its economic activity towards agriculture and especially towards livestock.
The Christian advance, and the gradual repositioning of Moorish political entities, caused the area to remain as a no-man's land for more than a century, which undoubtedly marked its subsequent development. In 1236, Fernando III made the north zone of Córdoba part of the Kingdom of Castile, causing the ruin of many economic activities present in the territory. The new settlers from Castile and León would be responsible for curbing this trend from the first half of the thirteenth century.
Hinojosa del Duque was founded as Finojosa del Pedroche at the beginning of the fourteenth century, in the course of the repopulation carried out in the region by the council of Córdoba, to whose jurisdiction it belonged until 1444. With a donation by the Monarch Juan II, it was integrated, with Belalcázar, into the Señorío and later Condado de losGutierre de Sotomayor. The current name was given to it in 1533, when the county governor, Francisco de Sotomayor, became Duke.
The liquidation of the seigniorial regime at the beginning of the nineteenth century and the territorial division developed under the regency of Maria Cristina caused Hinojosa del Duque to be included within the province of Córdoba.
THINGS TO SEE
Catedral de la Sierra
Also known as Iglesia de San Juan Bautista, the church was made a National Monument by Royal Decree in 1981. Built in the sixteenth century, Hernán Ruiz, el Viejo began the work,with the final project later directed by his son, Hernán Ruiz, el Joven. The Gothic tower was concluded at the end of the sixteenth century. It is a magnificent architectural precedent of the tower of the Mezquita-Catedral de Córdoba, built ten years later. Located in Plaza de la Catedral.
Museo Etnológico y Oficina de Turismo
The museum is situated within an eighteenth century Manor House, opened in 2010 with the aim of showing visitors the lifestyle, customs and trades that have developed in the town. In addition to being a dynamic museum, in which visitors who check it out for the first time will always have an incentive to return, they carry out varied activities such as guided tours, daily historric recreations, concerts and poetry recitals. The Tourist Office is also located within the same building. Located on Calle Cánovas del Castillo.
Wednesday-Friday, 12:00-14:00hrs and 17:00-20:00hrs.
Weekends and Holidays, 11:00-14:00hrs.
Tel: 957 14 10 56
Ermita de Santa Ana
The chapel was the first in the village, with tradition noting that in 1212 its vaults sheltered Alfonso VIII and his hosts in Tedeum, celebrated, in an action of grace, days after the Battle of Navas de Tolosa, when they on the way back to Toledo. It is a prototype of Iglesia Serrana de la Mesta,a beautiful Gothic-Renaissance style, as well as being a Historic-Artistic Monument. Located in Plaza de Santa Ana.
Convento de las Madres Concepcionistas
The Convent was founded by the Condal de los Sotomayor family. In 1573, Pope Gregorio XIII granted the unity of the two monasteries in Hinojosa del Duque, and formed one in the illustrious monastery founded by Luis de Sotomayor. Located in Plaza Duque de Béjar.
Ermita de la Virgen del Castillo
Father Juan Ruiz, in his historical work on the town, asumes that there was, in the place of the present church, a castle or tower; however, there are no signs of it. Its construction began around the fifteenth century. Located in Plaza de la Catedral.
Ermita de San Sebastián
This sixteenth century chapel was undoubtedly the greatest example, in the whole province, of a type of closed mountain chapel, according to a study published by Ortiz Juárez, Bernier and Nieto in the Artistic and Monumental Catalogue of the Province of Córdoba. Located on Calle San Sebastián.
Ermita de San Isidro
In 1739 the village was forced, by public deed, to pay for a chapel in San Isidro. The Baroque-style chapel was later inaugurated in 1753. Located on Calle San Isidro.
Ermita de San Gregorio de Ostia
In the Chapter Act of 1581, it was agreed that a chapel be erected at the town exit, on the way to Córdoba. It was built in the seventeenth century. Located on Calle San Gregorio.
Convento de San Diego
The Convent was built in 1589 for Franciscan Friars, but later in 1890 the Carmelite Fathers settled here. Its modern-regal church is a work of the sixteenth century rebuilt after the Spanish Civil War from 1936 to 1939. Today only its churchstands. Located on Calle el Carmen.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
Ermita del Santo Cristo de las Injurias
The chapel was completed in 1887 with the main and side doors preceded by a portico with Tuscan columns. The image of Santo Cristo de lasInjurias is the work of Antonio Castillo Lastrucci. Located two kilometres north of Hinojosa del Duque, at the end of Calle Plegarias.
Ermita de San Bartolomé
The chapel was built during the fourteenth century and later restored at the beginning of the twenty first century by the Escuela-Taller Las Ermitas de Hinojosa. During spring-summer 2008, it was the location for some scenes from the film "El Libro de lasAguas" (based on the novel of the same name by Alejandro López Andrada), directed by Antonio Giménez-Rico. Located south-east of Hinojosa del Duque, at the end of Pista de San Bartolomé.
Ermita de la Virgen de la Antigua
One of the most venerated sanctuaries, the primitive chapel building dates from the thirteenth to fourteenth centuries. It was rebuilt after the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). Dedicated to the Patroness of Hinojosa, it is here where the pilgrims travelon their annual pilgrimage. Located south-west of the town, along the Santuario Nuestra Señora de la Antigua.
Hinojosa del Duque has some wonderful natural areas for visitors to explore such as Parque Periurbano Fuente La Zarza, Cerro Cohete, Parque Cinco Puentes, Pantano el Cascajoso and Embalse de la Colada.
Local crafts still produced in the town are carpentry and ironwork.
When visiting Hinojosa del Duque, try their popular dishes such as ajo papas (potato with garlic), cordero relleno (stuffed lamb), caldereta de cordero (lamb stew), lechón frito (fried pork) and sopadorada (stock with garlic and parsley). Sweet treats include gachas (cream bread pudding), perrunas, rosquillos and hornazos (sweet pastries).
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Fiesta de Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno
Celebrated on14 January.
Verbena de San Sebastián
Celebrated on20 January.
Celebrated on 3 February.
Celebrated in February.
Romería de San Benito Abad
Celebrated the Sunday following Resurrection Sunday.
Romería de la Virgen de la Antigua
Celebrated the Sunday following Easter Sunday.
Romería de Nuestra Señora de Guía
Celebrated the first Sunday of May.
Verbena de San Gregorio
Celebrated on 9 May.
San Isidro el Labrador
Celebrated the second last Sunday of May.
Romería de San Bartolomé
Celebrated the last Sunday of May.
Verbena de Santo Domingo
Celebrated the first Saturday of June.
Festividad de la Virgen del Carmen
Celebrated on 16 July.
Festividad de Santa Ana
Celebrated on 26 July.
Fiesta de la Virgen del Tránsito
Celebrated on 15 August.
Feria y Fiestas de San Agustín
Celebrated 24 to 29 August.
Fiesta de la Virgen de Guadalupe
Celebrated on 8 September.
Festividad y Quinario del Santísimo Cristo de las Injurias
Celebrated the week before 14 September.