This village is the definition of survival - it has been hit by two earthquakes during its long history. The first was the famous Lisbon earthquake of 1755, which destroyed a large part of the village. The second, considerably more devastating, earthquake hit in 1884 – this one opened cracks in the ground so big that authorities were advised not to reconstruct the village. So Güevéjar moved to Sierra de la Yedra, since this location offers safer and firmer terrain. The remains of the original village are known as Peñón de Bartolo. The origins of the first settlement in Güevéjar go back to Roman times; an arrowhead discovered here was dated back to 8-7 B.C.
Güevéjar sits on a limestone landscape which has led to the creation (over millenia) of numerous caves, where you can also see archaeological remains.
In the village centre is the town’s most important monument: the parish church, built in 1887.
The village is part of la Ruta del Califato, a tourist route from Córdoba to Granada city. Visitors following the route will pass through Güevéjar, where they can enjoy various activities including trips to Peñón de Bartolo and horse-riding in the surrounding area, as well as experiencing its rich culture.
Güevéjar produces very high-quality olive oil, traditionally-made bread and wine. For a taste of typical Güevéjar cuisine, ask for gachas picantes (spicy porridge); choto al ajillo (veal with garlic); and migas con melón (a dish made with breadcrumbs and melon amongst other ingredients).
Like many of the other Granada municipalities, Güevéjar celebrates Día de la Cruz by sharing wine and eating habas (beans) and bacalao (cod). The patron saints’ days are also important celebrations. These take place in June, in honour of San Juan Bautista and in September, in honour of la Virgen de la Angustias.
Güevéjar is 17km from Granada city. Take the A-44 until Monteluz, change there to the A-92 and then to the GR-NE-55.