Iglesia de Santa María de la Asunción
by Saskia Mier
The growth experienced in Aracena during the sixteenth century led to the construction of another church, in this case Iglesia de Santa María de la Asunción, in the lower part of the village as it was difficult for many inhabitants to reach the church by the castle.
It is one of the best examples of Renaissance architecture in the province of Huelva. In 1528, construction of the church began with architect Juan de Calona, and in 1533, the works were taken over by Diego de Riaño until 1549. Towards 1562, another great architect Hernán Ruiz II takes over the construction and finishes the first section of the building.
By 1603 the works of the second section were already finished, with help from, Vermondo Resta, judging by the change in the design of the pillars. Since then, work on the church stopped.
As a consequence of the Lisbon earthquake of 1755, the church suffered major deterioration and was later restored by, Antonio Matías de Figueroa, between the years 1799 and 1783.
In 1972, the Dirección General de Bellas Artes (General Direction of Fine Arts) tried to finish the works according to the project and the direction of, Rafael Manzano, but came to a halt a few years later, leaving the last three sections without a roof, although the walls were erected. Finally, between 1995 and 1996 other works take place in the church extending its size.
Although there have been numerous initiatives since the 17th century to complete the building, none of them achieve this goal. The works carried out around 1970 were one of the attempts, and the last works at the end of the 90s, to finish such a frustrated project, without the temple not being finished either.
Most of the interior furniture disappeared during the Civil War, and holds the images of It welcomes the cult of Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno and Cristo de la Plaza, which are taken on a procession during Holy Week. The image of San Blas, patron of Aracena, can also be found in the church.
Located in Plaza Alta.