Header Banner - Google Adsense

Curiosities

Curiosities

A wonderful opportunity to get close to whales, dolphins and other sea mammals, in their natural habitat in the Straits of Gibraltar. This is the area of sea where where the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea meet, in the narrow space between the southermost point of Spain, and the African continent.

The 'Andalucian Poets Passage' is an interesting concept and is also called Jardin de los Poetas Andaluces (Garden of the Andalucia Poets). The casual passer-by walking down Calle Jesús Cautivo and glancing into the garden will be forgiven for thinking they are transformed back to the middle ages or Game of Thrones set where the heads of criminals are impaled on stakes.

The Rainbow Steps in Estepona are a colourful yet little-known attraction, just off the Avenida del Mar. You won’t find the escalera arco iris (marked on maps as part of Arrabal las Mesas or Camino las Mesas) in the guide books or on the official town tourist website, but it is of interest to keep-fit enthusiasts and Social Media fans alike.

The  La Almoraima estate in Castellar de la Frontera occupies 14.000 hectares and is one of the largest estates in Spain. Agriculture, Forestry, Cork, Hunting, Tourism are main industries in the estate. A vast quantity of cork is produced from the cork oak trees, quercus suber which are stripped of bark each summer on a seven year rotation. 90% of the estate is within the Parque Natural Los Acornocales.

Inside five small dolmens (standing stones) can be viewed. They are original and date from about 3,000 BC. Also on display are a number of pottery vessels, stone tools, arrowheads, axes, personal ornaments, necklace beads made of semi-precious stones and perforated seashells. The skulls and skeletons and other bones on display are reproductions as the originals are preserved.

Castillo del Aguila (Eagle's Castle) in the Moorish hilltown of Gaucin, consists of a series of fortifications built across a rocky ridge above the village. The castle, which is of Roman origin, and was reinforced by the Moors, is located on top of a hill whose east and south slopes are practically impregnable; the best way to reach this magnificent, historic building is by walking up Calle Larga.  

Estepona has a policy of commissioning sculptures by contemporary artists in different location in the town centre for the enjoyment of tourist and residents alike. Here is a list: Plaza de Las Flores: "El elefante requetebien" (Elephant benone) by Toby Govan. Plaza Ortiz: "Mavi" by Santiago de Santiago. Plaza Blas Infante infront of old town hall "Milagros" (Miracles) by Santiago de Santiago. One metre high sculpture in bronze.

The village of Benoajan is rightly famed for the caves which are well signposted around the area. South of the village of Benoaján heading towards Cortes de la Frontera, a side road leads off on the right, serving as a carpark.

The entrance of this cave can be seen from the railway as it heads north from the station two kilometres away. It's called the cave of the cat as its entrance is said to look like a cat's head. Perhaps it does, though the present authors failed to see it.

The ruins of this 32 hectare city are located at 1.000m above sea level. This is an urban are that thrived in the first century AD when it had a population of 5.000. It was mentioned in Plini and, inscriptions to Geninn Oppidi, to the god Marse and to Victoria Augusta have been found. The city even minted its own money, which features bunches of grapes.

The bullring dates back to 1972 and, from within, resembles the typical concrete architecture of this era. From the outside it is more interesting, due to the unique asymmetric design created by Juan Moro Urbano, the exterior is landscaped to allow access to the upper terraces without the necessity of steps.

A lighthouse has stood on the natural limestone headland known as Punta Doncella at the west end of La Rada beach in Estepona since an 8,5 metre structure was completed by engineer Antonio Molina in 1863. The original olive oil burning lamp was purchased from Sautter the French maker. It was replaced in 1882 by a paraffin 'Maris' lamp and then by a petrol one in 1904.

The Málaga Airport Museum is worth a visit whether you love airplanes, airports, local history or simply getting a glimpse inside a project 100% made-in-Málaga by a group of passionate, "Friends of the Museum" who are always dreaming up new exhibits and restoring new artifacts for display.

The Benalmádena stupa was designed to be the largest Buddhist stupa in the western world. The story behind the stupa goes back to 1990 when a Buddhist master came to Spain to give talks to the faithful in Vélez-Málaga. In Vélez, there is a Buddhist meditation centre.

When William Mark arrived in Malaga in 1816 to take up his post as British Consul, he was astonished and horrified to learn that in Spain burial in consecrated ground was reserved exclusively for Catholics. Protestants were buried without rites and in Malaga the burials were bizarre.

Sulphur is the ninth most abundant element of the universe and is one of nature´s great jokes on the human race. Known to the ancients as "Brimstone" it is one of the elements essential to life as a constituent of various biologically active compounds. Pure sulphur is odourless, but fun-loving nature frequently combines it with hydrogen to produce hydrogen sulphide, which has the odour of rotten eggs.

Atlantic Copper is a subsidiary of the North American group Freeport-McMoRan. It is the third largest copper smelter and refinery in Europe and leads domestic copper production, with a capacity of 300,000 tonnes per year, from one million tonnes of copper concentrate from different parts of the world.

For 'foodies' one of the best places to visit is Mercado Municipal del Carmen, which Huelva's municipal covered market. Inside, it is lined with hundreds of stalls selling all types of produce, from fresh meat, fresh fish, fruit and vegetables, to local cheeses, wines, honey and handicrafts. It is usually buzzing with locals all buying in fresh goods.

The cemetery of Huelva was opened in 1928 and the project was initially designed by architect, Don Francisco Marín in 1907