Cadiz City - Fascinating Fact 3 - Pirates Ahoy!
Cadiz was a favourite victim of attack by many of England´s most famed marine adventurers - Sir Francis Drake made his mark in 1587, capturing and destroying so many ships that he delayed the Spanish Armada by a year. Soon after, in 1596, the Earl of Essex, Queen Elizabeth I´s favourite, burned the city to the ground.
- Fact 1 - If Cadiz looks strangely familiar, it could be because you´ve seen it in a James Bond movie - as Havana
- Fact 2 - The history of Cadiz as seen through its name
- Fact 3 - For 200 years Cadiz was regularly attacked by a succession of English pirates
- Fact 4 - Cadiz´s carnival is second only to Rio´s in fame
- Fact 5 - One of Spain´s foremost classical composers, as well as, bizarrely, a celebrated Union general of the American Civil War, were born in Cadiz Cadiz - Fascinating Facts
Fascinating Facts - Home