Once a convent, this magnificent art museum has been lovingly restored and is now one of the finest in Spain. Located in a tiny plaza away from the city centre bustle, the building dates back to 1612, the work of architect, Juan de Oviedo.
It is built around three patios which are decorated with flowers, trees and the distinctive Seville tile work. The museum's impressive collection of Spanish art and sculpture extends from the medieval to the modern, focusing on the work of Seville School artists, such as Bartolome, Esteban Murillo, Juan de Vales Leal and Francisco de Zurbaran. The Italian sculptor Torregiani (the fellow who broke Michelangelo's nose and died in a Seville prison), left an uncanny barbaric wooden St Jerome.