Header Banner - Google Adsense

Almería

Almería

Reviews of the prestigious hotels of Almeria. Almeria is one of the least-known provincial capitals in Andalucia. But lately this ancient port city has been experiencing a renaissance, thanks to an urban regeneration programme which started in 2007 and is scheduled to finish in 2013.

Places to go and things to see in the city of Almeria.This includes the Alcazaba, Cathedral and many museums and art galleries.

Filled with important and fascinating historical attractions, Almeria is the capital of Andalucia's most easterly province of the same name. The Alcazaba of Almería, a huge attraction, is the second largest among the Muslim fortresses of Andalusia, after the Alhambra of Granada. Rentals are usually located near the winding streets that just beg to be explored. Below are a few rentals we could suggest.

The hilltop Alcazaba's hefty walls and towers dominate the city and command magnificent views over the old town below and across to the Mediterranean. Measuring 25,000m2, this was the largest fortress built by the Moors. The Alcazaba was founded during the first half of the 10th century by Cordoban Caliph Abd al-Rahman III, who also built Medina Azahara.

Almeria is one of the least-known provincial capitals in Andalucia. But lately this ancient port city has been experiencing a renaissance, thanks to an urban regeneration programme which started in 2007 and is scheduled to finish in 2013.

During the Muslin era, Almeria did not have a water supply network for buildings, making it necessary to build bathing areas and washing fountains. We have news of the water supply to Almeria mainly thanks to al-Himyari and al-Udri. According to al-Himyari, Jairán during his reign (1012-1028) was the one who ordered the construction of the water pipeline, and according to al-Udri, it was during the reign of his successor Zuhayr (1028-1038). In any case, they are traditionally known as Aljibes de Jairán.

Archaeological excavations in recent years have verified the Roman Empire’s presence both inside and outside of the Alcazaba’s walls, and yet its current silhouette can be traced back to its founder, Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Rahman III (who also built Medina Azahara). According to an inscription found on marble which is now housed in the (Archeological) Museum of Almería, he ordered it to be built in the latter half of the 10th century.

The interior of the Alcazaba is divided into three walled recintos, or compounds, spreading up the long slope from the lowest part near the entrance; the first two are Islamic, and the third is Christian. A long fortified wall, the Muralla de Jayran (or Jairan), named after the 11th century king who built them, stretches from the Alcazaba, down the hill and up the other side to the Cerro de San Cristobal. From here the panoramic views take in the Alcazaba itself, as well as the city and port stretched out below.

In a few decades, Almeria’s gastronomy has undergone a spectacular transformation. From rather scarce products from the land and sea, it has passed to intensive agricultural production and, finally, to products of extraordinary quality that are exported all over the world.

The only public center of photography in Spain, the Andalusian Center of Photography (CAF) is situated what was the once the Lycée Français of Almeria. It is a headquarters space created for different uses in which, in addition to exhibitions of photography of all styles and times, a photographic library is also offered to the public.

The Spanish Guitar Museum is more than a museum space; it is an exhibition and information center that through an entertaining and simple way, allow visitors to get to know one of the most popular musical instruments in the world: the guitar. There are various exhibition rooms with temporary and permanent exhibits, a multipurpose room.

The train station is located within the same building as the bus station, in the Estación Intermodal. ( Intermodal station; meaning bus and train combined station). the building opened in 2005 as the first of its type in Spain. It is open from 05.00 to 24.00 hrs. Here is a plan of the station.

These are the airlines that have direct flights to and from Almeria Airport and the following cities: Belfast, Birmingham, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Leeds - Bradford, London Gatwick, London Stanstead, Manchester, Newcastle, Billund, Bruges - Ostend, Brussels, Dublin, Faro, Palma de Mallorca, Barcelona, Faro and more.

This park is located between the port and city, running from Avenida Reina Regente (the lower end of Avenida Federico Garcia Lorca)in the east, to Puerta del Socorro and Avenida del Mar in the west.The park, named after the Almerian politician and President of the First Republic, is Almeria city's main green space.

This centre in Almeria portholds two important archaeological remains: a salted fish factory, the only Roman remains preserved in the city; and one of the gates from the Islamic wall which enclosed the city.

The Puerta de Purchena where the old Pechina gateof the city walls stood. Its name was altered after the Christian Reconquest by a transcription error, confusing the names of twoAlmeria towns, Pechina (an important city named Bayyana in the Muslim era) and Purchena. The puerta was located here as the natural entrance to the city from the western side.

This historic theatre was built between 1886 and 1921, with a long delay due to financing problems. The project was started by the local bourgeouisie which organisedmany tertulias (informal discussion groups), one of whom first adopted the indalo man as its symbol, now ubiquitous as the province's logo.

The land for the station was acquired in 1880 and the work on the old station began by the Compañía de los Caminos de Hierro del Sur de España in 1890 and was completed in 1893 although the inauguration ceremony did not happen until the 23 of July 1895 with the line Guadix to Almería.

Casa de Puga is a tapas institution in Almeria. The bar/restaurant on Calle Jovellanos (no 7), which opened in 1870, is deeply traditional in both decor and cuisine. Originally the building was used for parking carriages downstairs, and as an inn upstairs. From 1900 it was owned by Don Juan Puga Antequera, who founded the current restaurant with his wife Maria Lopez Romero.