Tarifa - Fascinating fact 4 - Winds and Waves
What is it that sets Tarifa apart as such an ideal destination for fans of extreme sports such as kite-surfing? It is located in the straits of Gibraltar, a narrow area of sea between northern Africa and southern Europe, where the meeting of the Mediterranean and Atlantic (see Fact I), and the resulting difference in air pressure, create almost constantly-blowing strong western breezes (average speed 45km/h), which also power the many wind turbines in the area around the town. These conditions are perfect for kitesurfers, who can reach speeds of up to 80 km per hour.
- Fact 1 - The town's Moorish history is not surprising - it was the first point of invasion from nearby Africa
- Fact 2 - Not into high-adrenalin wetsuit experiences? Tarifa is also one of Europe's top whale-watching destinations
- Fact 3 - Morocco is just half an hour away - you can see it from Tarifa - so why not have a day out in Tangiers?
- Fact 4 - Why is Tarifa such an amazing place for wind-powered watersports?
- Fact 5 - One of the Romans' favourite delicacies was made near Tarifa.
- Tarifa - Fascinating Facts
Fascinating Facts - Home