Berenjenas con miel
Crisp, deep-fried aubergine fritters with honey.
- 300g aubergines, cut into 7-8mm- thick slices
- 110g plain flour
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for deep-frying
- 150ml cold water
- 2 free-range egg whites
- Clear honey for drizzling
- Fine sea salt
1. Sprinkle the aubergine slices lightly on both sides with salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the oil and the water. Gradually beat together to make a smooth batter. Set aside to rest, along with the aubergines.
3. Pat the aubergine slices dry with kitchen paper. Pour 1cm of olive oil into a large deep frying pan and heat it to 180°C.
4. Whisk the egg whites into soft peaks and fold them into the batter. Dip the aubergine slices a few at a time into the batter, add them to the hot oil and deep-fry for 1 minute on each side until crisp and golden. Leave to drain briefly on kitchen paper.
5. Serve immediately while they are still hot and crisp, drizzled generously with the honey.
6. We at Andalucia.com like to add a sprinkle of cinnamon