Makes 18 tapas or 6 starters.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 75g /2½ oz fresh or frozen shelled peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 piquillo peppers, chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped pickle
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 120ml/ 4 fl oz mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1. Cook the potatoes and carrots in boiling water to cover until tender. The carrots will take about 12 minutes; the potatoes a total of 20 minutes. Cook the peas until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain vegetables and chill them.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them in 12mm / ½ in dice. Cut the carrots lengthwise in quarters then slice crosswise into small dice. Combine the potatoes, carrots and peas in a bowl. Add the salt, oil, chopped piquillo peppers, egg and onion.
3. In a small bowl combine the pickle, mustard, parsley, mayonnaise and vinegar. Whisk until smooth. Stir into the potatoes. Let the potatoes stand 2 hours at room temperature or, covered and refrigerated, up to 24 hours. Serve cold or room temperature.