Pollo al Ajillo
Chicken sautéed with garlic
Makes 12 tapas or 6 main dishes.
- 900g/2lb chick wings (or whole chicken cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 head garlic (about 12 cloves)
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 120ml/4 fl oz dry or medium-dry sherry
- Chopped parsley
1. Cut off the wing tips and discard (or save for stock). Divide each wing into two joings. Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Lightly smash the garlic cloves to split the skins, but do not peel them.
2. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or cazuela (earthenware casserole). Add the chicken pieces and garlic to the oil and sauté them very slowly.
3. When chicken is browned on all sides, add the bay leaf and sherry. Continue cooking until the liquid is cooked away and the chicken begins to sizzle again. Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley.