fact 4 - Party On
Party On - Wash your sins away at the Noche de San Juan beach party
One of the biggest and most well-know all-night beach parties takes place on La Noche de San Juan (the eve of St John's Day). On the evening of 23 June, all the townsfolk of Nerja, and plenty of visitors too, head down to the shore, armed with tents, barbeques and copious liquid refreshment, to camp on the beach (normally prohibited) and grill sardines. At midnight, everyone rushes into the sea to wash away their sins, symbolising the baptisms of St John the Baptist, which is the official start of the festivities. There are bonfires (jump over them for good luck) and fireworks, and then everyone dances till dawn.
- Fact 1 - Prehistoric caves, with the tallest natural pillar in the world
- Fact 2 - Head just inland from Nerja to the prettiest village in Andalucia
- Fact 3 - Nerja has beaches galore - in town, and more isolated
- Fact 4 - Wash your sins away at the Noche de San Juan beach party
- Fact 5 - See top international singers and dancers at the Festival Cueva de Nerja