by Saskia Mier
Aljarque is a town about 8km west of Huelva City with about 19, 800 inhabitants. We have included Aljarque in El Andevalo section although it is more considered a satellite town of Huelva City.
Aljaraque appeals to all lovers of nature as well as rural and active recreation. It is equipped for sports such as golf, horse riding, cycling and hiking, forming part of the Paraje Natural Marismas del Odiel.
The presence of man has existed in these lands for hundreds of years due to it being an ideal location for trade. During the Neolithic era, the settlement of Papa Uvas is formed some 3000 B.C that sustained a diverse economy of agriculture and livestock. After the Copper Age, the Phoenicians established a factory, during the seventh century B.C, dedicated to the salting of fish. With the arrival of the Romans, the economy of Aljaraque suffers a drop although trade in minerals remained as seen by the slags found in the Camping Las Vegas and Los Villares.
Alfonso X El Sabio granted it a village title but remained unpopulated until the fifteenth century, frequented only by cattle herders who used the three cattle routes of the area.
The arrival of French and English miners caused repopulation along with the construction of the railway line in 1866 that would link the mining deposits with the port of Huelva, as well as the loading dock on the right bank of Río Odiel.
In recent years, Aljaraque has experienced great development, specifically in tourism, where its location and spectacular natural environment attracts many to the great quality of life here.
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia Nuestra Señora de los Remedios
Originally built in the sixteenth century, the church was renovated in the eighteenth century after the Lisbon earthquake and again after the Spanish Civil War. Located on Calle Real.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
Ermita Nuestra Señora de los Remedios
The chapel was built by architect, Gonzalo Prieto Rodríguez, between 2000 and 2003; the previous chapel built in 1971. Located northwest of Aljaraque.
The archeological site of Papa Uvas is located about 300m west of Aljaraque, with an area of 100,000m2 researched from the start in 1976. The excavated structures show a large settlement.
Opened in February 1953 by W.H. Rutherford II, Director of Cobre y Azufre de Tharsis Ltd. Initially the theatre had two box seats reserved exclusively for directors of the firm, officials and their guests. Abandoned in the early eighties, it was reopened in November 2002 after its restoration between 1998 and 2000. Located in Corrales.
Iglesia Nuestra Señora Reina del Mundo
The church was erected on 1 November 1959, although the temple had already been built in 1956, thanks to the Compañía de Minas de Tharsis, according to plans by architect, Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cordero. Located in Corrales.
Estación de Ferrocarril
The train station was built by the company Cobre y Azufre de Tharsis Ltd. in 1920, as the starting point of the line that joined both Tharsis and Zarza mines, operating until 1999. Located in Corrales.
An impressive industrial building from the second half of the nineteenth century, which currently has been well preserved. Located in Corrales.
Ermita de Corrales
The chapel was recently built and is equipped with five bells dedicated to the five continents. Europe, Africa, America, Asia and Oceania. Located in Corrales.
Paraje Natural 'Marismas del Odiel'
The Paraje Natural 'Marismas del Odiel' is located at the mouth of the Río Tinto and Río Odiel, with an area of 7200 hectares. The area is made up of marshes and spits of land, most commonly known for a passage for migrating birds. Open for visitors, there is an information centre and guided tours can be arranged. More>
A large area of pine trees that were planted centuries ago for their exploitation, but has now become a natural area to enjoy on horse-back, on foot or even by bicycle. Located east of Aljaraque.
For golf enthusiasts, one must visit Club de Golf Bellavista, north of Aljaraque.
Dishes that can be sampled in Aljaraque include typical guisos de pescado (fish stews), mariscos (seafood) and tortas de Pascua (sweet pastries).
Aljaraque is most well known for its saddlery work as well as other leather products.
Festividad de San Sebastián
Celebrated 20 January.
Romería de Corrales
Celebrated in Spring.
Romería de Aljaraque
Celebrated on Sunday after Pentecost.
Romería de San José Obrero y Reina del Mundo
Celebrated on the first weekend of May.
Fiestas de San Antonio
Celebrated 13 June.
Fiestas de San Pedro
Celebrated 29 June.
Fiestas en Honor a Nuestra Señora de los Remedios de Aljaraque
Celebrated middle of August.
Aljaraque is located 8kms from Huelva. To get there, take the A-497 leaving Huelva and take Exit 5. At the roundabout take the 1st exit and continue onto Aljaraque.