ERMITA DE LA SOLEDAD
|Ermita de la Soledad.|
La Soledad hermitage on Calle Jesús de la Pasión was first erected in the early 1500s as a church for the neighbouring Hospital de la Misericordia, which was founded in 1516. From 1854 the hermitage was used as a school and a hospital.
The two lateral doors were designed by the architect Antonio de Figueroa around 1771, while the main door and belfry were designed by the Huelva architect José Álvarez. Under the altar is a crypt, built in 1654, containing the family vault for Pedro de Guzmán y Quesada.
IGLESIA DE LA CONCEPCIÓN
|Iglesia de la Concepción|
This church on Calle Concepción is thought to be the first one in Spain to be consecrated the Immaculate Conception. Built over a period spanning two centuries from 1515, it has a mix of Mudéjar and Baroque styles. It has several valuable paintings by the artist Francisco de Zubarán. Unfortunately the church is currently closed for restoration, due to damage caused by the erection of the modern buildings that surround it, but you can still admire the magnificent Baroque bell tower and fine portals outside.
IGLESIA DE LA MILAGROSA
Situated on Calle Rábida a few blocks south of the Plaza de las Monjas, the Iglesia de la Milagrosa is one of the few examples of neo-gothic architecture in Huelva province. It dates from 1929 and was designed by the architect José María Pérez Carasa, who was also one of those in charge of the Barrio Obrero. The church was one of the few buildings at the time to use concrete in its construction. The church has undergone various stages of restoration, having been damaged in the Civil War and nearly destroyed by the 1969 earthquake.
Its most interesting features are its neo-gothic façade with a single, central bell tower, the stained glass windows above the apse and its ornate gilt altarpiece of Nuestra Señora Estrella de la Mar.
Open service times: Monday to Saturday at 1930; Sunday at 1100 and 1930.
CONVENTO DE LAS AGUSTINAS DE SANTA MARÍA DE LA GRACIA
|Convento de las Agustinas de Santa María de la Garcia|
On the Plaza de las Monjas is the Convento de las Agustinas, built on the site of a Arab necropolis. In the 16th century Huelva became increasingly important as a city and four religious orders were founded. The first was Santa María de Gracia, the only one surviving today. The convent has been renovated many times but has two remaining original sections: the Mudéjar cloister and Renaissance courtyard.
It is open Monday to Saturday 0900 to 1300, with Mass at 2030. On Sunday and holidays Mass is at 1300 and 2030.
CONVENTO DE LA MERCED
Founded in 1605 by the Duke of Medina Sidonia and Count of Niebla, Alonso Pérez Guzmán, the Convento de la Merced is one of the oldest buildings in Huelva. Having survived the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, it has been used as a hospital, prison, government offices, teaching training college and now houses the rectory and various faculties of the University of Huelva. The convent's adjacent former church is now the city's cathedral, the Catedral de la Merced.