THINGS TO SEE in Huelva City
Although most of Huelva's historic buildings suffered badly in the 1755 Lisbon earthquake, several pre-18th-century churches escaped destruction or were successfully restored. The most famous of these is the Sanctuario de Nuestra Señora la Virgen de la Cinta, with its links to Columbus, while the oldest is the Iglesia de San Pedro.
A stroll around the centre will reveal those monuments that were erected in response to the explosion of wealth in Huelva, injected into the local economy from the exploitation of the mines north of the city. This peaked in the late 19th-century and early 20th-century. In 1911 the art-nouveau Conservatorio de Música was inaugurated, now the Clínica Sanz de Frutos, on Calle Rico. Just round the corner on Calle Vásquez López is the Gran Teatro, with a magnificent neo-classical façade and ornate interior. This dates from 1923, when Huelva's cultural life had a big boost from foreign capital. North of the centre is the neo-Moorish Plaza de Toros, completed in the early 20th century, whose design imitates that of Las Ventas bullring in Madrid.
Other things to see in the city include the provincial museum, the Museo de Huelva, which has an excellent archaeological section. The British mining Río Tinto Company had a big impact on Huelva's 19th-century architecture, as seen in the long Muelle de Ríotinto, snaking out into the Odiel estuary, and the curious Victorian Barrio Obrero.
The Iglesia de la Merced used to serve as the church of the neighbouring convent. More >
Huelva's oldest parish church, was constructed in the 15th & 16th centuries. More >
Housed in on the Avenida Sundheim, the museum has an interesting archaeological collection. More >
This whitewashed 15th-century chapel is famous for its associations with Christopher Columbus. More >
An amazing example of a Victorian English suburb superimposed onto an Andalucian landscape. More >
A symbol of British power in late 19th-century Huelva, inagurated in 1883, Casa Colón (Columbus House)...More >
The Conservatorio is a music centre dedicated to teaching as well as holding musical performances. More >
The Plaza de Toros de la Merced was finished in 1902 by architect, Trinidad Gallego Díaz.
Río Tinto Company had a big impact on Huelva's 19th-century architecture. More >
A massive statue, located at Punta Sebo where the rivers Odiel and Tinto meet...More >
Huelva and its environs is a Mecca for those interested in Christopher Columbus...More >
For ‘foodies’ one of the best places to visit is Mercado Municipal del Carmen, which Huelva’s municipal covered market. More >
Palacio Mora Claros is an early twentieth century palace built by, Moisés Serrano and José María Pérez Carasa, and was restored in 1997. More >
Paseo Maritimo de la Ría is a seaside boulevard that was opened in July 2016 and is within the Paraje Natural de las Marismas del Odiel.
Plaza de las Monjas can be described as the main square in the city of Huelva. Its origin is to be found during the foundation of the Convento de las Madres Agustinas. More >
MUELLE DE RIO TINTO
Industrial architecture from this mining boom includes the various quays in the port area constructed by Rio Tinto Company Ltd for loading their minerals onto ships. Still standing are the 1,165-metre-long Muelle de Rio Tinto, which was opened on 23 de marzo de 1876 after two year work. Minerals were brought from the Rio Tinto mines by mining train which ran down the pier so that minerals could be loaded directly ont ocean going ships. It was last used in May 1975, and lay idle until it was restored in 2003;
Other remnants of British presence in the city of Huelva in the late 19th-century include the workers' district Barrio de Reina Victoria and the grand Casa Colón. Tharsis (1871) and Muelle de Norte (1908), still somewhat dilapidated. The impressive neo-Moorish Estación de Sevilla was built by the British in 1880, along with the railway used by the mining companies.
A huge monument of Christopher Columbus, the Monumento a la Fe Descubridora, (monument to the discovers faith) was inaugurated in 1929 and is symbolically situated at the Punta de Sebo, south of the centre, overlooking the confluence of the Odiel and Tinto rivers. Find out about the other atraction relating to Christopher Columbus that can be seen nearby.