by Saskia Mier
El Pedroso is of particular interest to rural tourism lovers and also to those interested in outdoor activities, such as hunting, fishing or hiking. The village is also part of the Parque Natural de la Sierra Norte de Sevilla (natural park). It has about 2200 inhabitants.
Evidence of flint arrowheads suggests settlements in El Pedroso during the Paleolithic period. Ceramic pieces have also been found, confirming the human existence during the Chalcolithic period.
The Kura de Firrish, was the Arab district to which El Pedroso belonged to. The village still has many streets and places with Moorish names. It was in the Dehesas de Montegil and Manchallana, that two Arab coins were found, currently displayed in the Archaeological Museum of Seville.
In June 1266, El Pedroso was included in the land that was donated by Alfonso X to Don Remondo, Archbishop of Seville.
The Catholic Kings, coming from Seville, stayed in El Pedroso in February 1502, and Isabel of Portugal, accompanied by Portuguese and Castilian knights, lived in El Pedroso in February 1526, on her way to Seville for her marriage to Carlos I.
Villagers from El Pedroso played a huge part in the discovery of America, specifically Don Jerónimo López Hernández, who for his valuable participation in the conquest and settlement of Mexico, Carlos I granted him and his descendants a coat of arms.
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Consolación
The church was originally of Gothic-Mudejar style which are still conserved, however, modifications were made in the middle of the sixteenth century. During the second half of the eighteenth century, new expansions were carried out by architects, Pedro Diaz de Palacios and Antonio Matías de Figueroa. Located in Plaza Nuestra Señora de la Consolación.
Casa Conventual (La Cartuja)
Casa Conventual was built in the middle of the sixteenth century by the Order of San Bruno as an agricultural branch of the Cartuja de Cazalla de la Sierra, the farm house here in El Pedroso, as well as those in Cazalla de la Sierra (Seville) and Santa María de las Cuevas (Seville). Located in Plaza de la Consolación.
Ermita del Cristo de la Misericordia
The chapel is located on the former site of the Misericordia Hospital. The building was originally a Mudejar construction; however it has undergone important transformations throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Located on Paseo del Espino.
Ermita de la Virgen del Espino
The chapel's architectural characteristics suggest it is of Mudejar construction. In the eighteenth century it was damaged by the Lisbon earthquake in 1755, and underwent reformations and extensions. Located on Paseo del Espino.
El Pedroso is ideal for those keen on hunting, fishing and hiking. There are great hunting grounds with a rich source of deer and wild boar, as well as many interconnecting home to species such as trout, carp, barbs and black bass. For hikers, there are a few routes available, such as Sendero de las Piñas, Sendero del Azulaque, Sendero de las Cañas and Sendero del Huerto de Rivas.
Typical dishes to try in El Pedroso include faisanes (partridge), guisos de caza (game stews) specifically the caldereta de venado (venison stew) and variaciones de verdura en crudo (raw vegetable salad).
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Celebrated in February.
Celebrated beginning of May.
Día de la Virgen del Carmen
Celebrated on the 16 July.
Romería de la Virgen del Espino
Celebrated the weekend closest to the 15 August.
Celebrated the first weekend of August from Wednesday to Sunday.
Día de la Virgen del Espino
Celebrated on the 8 de September.
Feria de Muestras de Productos Típicos y Artesanales de la Sierra Norte
A crafts and local produce fair celebrated during the bank holiday weekend of the 6 and 8 December.
El Pedroso is located 66km from Seville. To get there, take the A-4 east leaving Seville and take exit 535-Sevilla and merge onto Calle Tigris. At the roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A-8008 Sevilla-Brenes. At the next roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto the A-8005 and the 1st exit at the next roundabout. Take the 2nd exit at the next two roundabouts and the 3rd exit at the third roundabout onto the SE-3101 into Cantillana and turning left onto the A-432. Continue on the A-432 until you reach El Pedroso.