Iglesia de la Merced
The convent dates from 1580 and was built under the Order of the Mercedarian Fathers, who moved to live there and left a small house that they had near the Puerta Martos where they had their residence since the Re-conquest in 1288. The Order was founded by the Bishop of the Diocese, Don Pedro Pascual of Valencia, and its main mission was the redemption of captives whom it later helped until their recovery. The church is a later construction from the early eighteenth century, being blessed on January 23, 1727 and consecrated to Santa María de la Merced.
After the Confiscation, it was occupied from the year 1885, becoming a parish in 1970. In 1836, due to the confiscation of Mendizábal, the convent had to be abandoned by the friars. At one time the building served as a textile and silk factory. On July 20, 1936, the convent was attacked by militia men, murdering five Claretians, occupying it and making it a refuge for war refugees. In 1970 it was again named a parish with the name of Nuestra Señora de la Merced. The fountain in the square is from the sixteenth century, the work of the Hurtado Brothers, stonemasons from Jaén, it was restored by the Count of Torralba, the water once came from the Alamillo fountain.
Located in Plaza de la Merced.