One of the most distinctive features of Enix is the abdunance of water features in its municipal centre. It has also managed to preserve the traditional narrow, tiered streets and white facades left over from the Muslim occupation. The town has around 420 inhabitants.


Enix’s name appears to come from the Germanic word Nix, which relates to sources and springs. There is evidence of its existence as early as the Germanic population of the Peninsula. The Arabs respected this name, calling the town El Nix. It belonged to the taha of Almexixar, along with Félix and Vícar. The Moorish uprising of 1568-1570 was stifled by the Marquis de los Vélez, and the Moorish population that did not die in the war was reduced to slavery. After the expulsion of the Moors, it was repopulated by settlers from Castile and Levante. The Council of Granada later changed its name to Enix.

During the nineteenth century, the mining fever of the Sierra de Gádor affected the municipality. In the Marchal de Antón López or Marchal de Enix, there is a trace of its mining activity in the Carmen mine, which is now abandoned. Sadly, one of the foremost legacies of mining in the area is the deforestation of the surrounding mountains which facilitated these exploitations. Today, the traditional olive, almond and vine cultivation is mainly for local consumption, and most of the population lives off the work of reforestation and agricultural greenhouses in the west of Almeria.




Castillo El Castillejo
The Castle is of Muslim origin and has been declared of Cultural Interest under the Monument category. It is one of the many fortresses that the Arabs built during their period of domination in this province. Its origin dates back to the year 955, when Abd-Rahman III designated the urban centre of Almeria as a Medina. Today, it is in a ruinous state.

Iglesia Parroquial de la Virgen del Rosario
This church was erected in the sixteenth century and contains an impressive statue of the Virgin of Rosario which, according to tradition, presided over the boat of Don Juan de Austria in the Battle of Lepanto. The patron saint is San Judas Tadeo. The enclosure also has a beautiful Mudéjar-style coffered ceiling. The church can be found on Plaza de Constitución.


Templo Parroquial de Santa Teresa
This church’s construction was designed by the architect Juan Antonio Munar in 1778, and it is located north of Enix, in Marchal de Antón López.


Hotels in Enix are few and far between. However, the nearby villages of Aguadulce and La Envia offer hotels and accommodation and are perfectly located for a quick trip to Enix. Shown below is a hotel located in La Envia, only a 10-minute drive away.

Hotels in Enix

Book Hotels in Enix


Sendero de Enix-Almería (PR-A 120)
This route links the town of Enix, in the Sierra de Gádor, with the provincial capital Almería. The route through the limestone Sierra presents a tortuous orography with multiple ravines carved for centuries by the erosive action of the water, where the rocks have been exposed. The route is 15km in total and is well signposted.


Enix does not have a particularly strong history of arts and crafts, but many locals still dedicate themselves to straw work as a hobby.


The most traditional and succulent gastronomic dishes of Enix are the arroz de banda (rice cooked in fish stock), ajo blanco (almond and garlic soup), ajo colorao (cold soup), migas (fried bread usually served with pork), la olla (broth), encebollao (fish stew) and game dishes incorporating seasonal vegetables.


Popular festivals celebrated in Enix are the Fiestas de Nuestra Señora del Rosario y de San Judas Tadeo, as well as the Fiesta de Santa Teresa de Jésus. More>


The neighbouring villages to Enix are Felix, Vícar and Alhama de Almería.