by Saskia Mier
Benacazón is a diverse agricultural village producing olives, fruits, specifically cherries orchards, as well as being known for its good quality beef. It has about 7000 inhabitants.
Benacazón was founded by the Roman as a peasant village, however, vestiges from the end of the Bronze Age have been found in the area. With the arrival of the Moors, the settlement was given the name, Ben- A-Casum, of which its current name derives from.
After the re-conquest of Fernando III in 1247, the name was changed to Celada, but soon returned to its previous name. In 1250, the village was given to Doña Mayor Arias and the Bishop of Seville. Later on in 1419, the village passed into the hands of the Portocarrero, Heirs of Doña Mayor Arias, and obtained the title of Villa and Lordship of Benacazón that same year. The first gentleman was Don Luis Méndez Portocarrero and his wife.
In the middle of the sixteenth century, Benacazón became part of the family 'Los Pantoja' until in 1810, the Lordships were abolished.
Book hotels in Benacazon
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia Parroquial Santa María de las Nieves
The Mudejar church dates to the sixteenth century, and added on to during the seventeenth century. It was renovated and enlarged in 1756. Located on Calle Pablo Iglesias.
Currently it is divided into two parts; a private property and another municipal property, which has been recently restored. As from 2008, the Hogar del Pensionista (Pensioner's Building) is located in this emblematic building and will soon host a Public Internet Access Center or Guadalinfo Centre and municipal offices. Located on Calle Real.
Capilla de la Soledad
The origins of this chapel are unknown, it is said that it was formerly a blood Hospital. Located in Plaza de la Constitución.
Capilla de la Vera Cruz
The origins of this chapel are also unknown, although it is suggested to be around 1511.
In 1577 the Brotherhood of Vera Cruz received houses as a donation on Calle Real on which they built a hospital, maintained until 1723 or soon after. Located on Calle Real.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
Ermita de Castilleja de Talhara
The Mudejar chapel was built in the fourteenth century on the remains of the chapel belonging to the settlement of Talhara, founded by Alfonso Fernandez de Fuentes in 1369. Located on the A-473.
Hacienda de Castilleja de Talhara
The Neo-Mudejar estate dates to the end of the nineteenth century, although restorations have been made throughout the years. It is located next to Ermita de Castilleja de Talhara.
Ermita de Gelo
The Mudejar chapel dates to the fifteenth century with a slender belfry given by, Francisco de Monsalve, dating to the sixteenth century. The work was financed at the expense of Mr. de Gelo, Luis Ramírez de Arellano and is located next to Hacienda de Gelo, a large estate. Located on the A-474, 3km from Benacazón.
Typical dishes to try in Benacazón are sopeao (similar to gazpacho), pipirrana (egg, tomato and pepper salad), ajoblanco (almond soup), pringá (slow cooked meat) and picaíllo (tuna salad). Also very popular is a drink known as mosto, an alcoholic grape juice made from the first pressing.
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Celebrated in February.
Día de Andalucía
Celebrated the 28 February.
Domingo de Soledad
Celebrated two Sundays before Palm Sunday.
Viernes de Dolores
Celebrated the Friday before Palm Sunday.
Día de la Caldereta y Tapa Típica de Cuaresma
Celebrated the Sunday before Holy Week.
Romería del Rocío
Celebrated in May/June
Fiestas Patronales y Feria en Honor a la Virgen de las Nieves
Celebrated the first week of August.
Festividad de Nuestra Señora del Rosario
Celebrated the first week of October.