by Saskia Mier
Camas is a suburban town of Seville originally built over old farmland from the Moorish era. Also famous for producing many good bullfighters due to its bullfighting school. It has about 27, 200 inhabitants.
The first remains date from the Lower Paleolithic era but remains also show presence of Tartessian settlements in the form of a gold treasure from the seventh or eighth centuries B.C. It was found in 1958, in the ruins of an ancient temple at Cerro del Carambolo and consists of two breastplates and a necklace with several pendants.
During the Roman period a number of settlements were established for agriculture or recreation. The current name is from Muslim domination, when a landowner named, Ebu-Alkama, lived in the farmhouse. The name Camas does not appear until the Re-conquest in the thirteenth century. It remained a realengo until in 1631, it passed to, Diego Arias Mendoza, who later sold it in 1635 to the Count-Duke of Olivares.
In July of 1936 a group of miners were ambushed in the area of La Pañoleta, that were transporting dynamite to Rio Tinto, apparently to fight nationalists in the Civil War. Nine miners died in the ambush, sixty-eight were tried, and sixty-seven were sentenced to death and subsequently executed.
The demolition of some warehouses in the 1980s meant that a library and new Town Hall were erected in 1991. The previous town hall from 1928 was preserved for cultural purposes.
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia Parroquial de Nuestra Señora de Gracia
The construction of the church was directed by, Pedro Silva, between 1760 and 1761, however began in 1723 and was not terminated until 1800. Located on Calle Santa María de Gracia.
Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de la Fuente
A relatively modern church with a very unique style to it, very different to the traditional Andalusian church. Located on Calle Buen Aire.
Monumento al Toreo
Impressive monument to bullfighting made by the Sevillian artist, Jaime Gil Arévalo. Located on Rotonda de la Pañoleta.
Plaza de Toros
The bullring was built in 1926 for a bullfighting school, Escuela Municipal Taurina de Camas. Located on Calle Buen Aire.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
Torre del Cortijo de Gambogaz
The Gothic-Mudejar tower is located within the estate of Cortijo de Gambogaz, a thriving agricultural farm during the nineteenth century thanks to the lawyer, Ignacio Vázquez Gutiérrez. At the moment it is considered a monument, although as from the Civil War, the Cortijo belongs to the Queipo de Llano family. Located east of Camas, by the Gudalquivir River.
Tesoro del Carambolo
The Cerro del Carambolo is one of the highest hills of its alignment, reaching a height of 60 meters on the Vega de Triana, and home to the Real Sociedad de Tiro de Pichón (Pigeon Shooting Society). In 1958, works to expand the headquarters building of the Society, meant treasure consisting of 21 pieces of 24 carat gold, with a total weight of 2,950 grams, was found. The pieces include a necklace, a pin, sixteen small chains, seven pendants, bracelets, two pectoral-shaped tortoises and sixteen plates of different sizes. Among many other remains are different kinds of pottery, dishes and glasses, some of fine yellowish clay and others of mud of different colour, although all of Neolithic aspect. Currently a reproduction can be seen in the Archaeological Museum of Seville. Located north west of Camas.
Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Guía
A chapel of oriental origin destined for religious purposes such as small rituals, dating from the Almohad period and lately has been in danger of collapse. Located in Calle Camino de Guia.
Camas has a variety of traditional dishes, including sopeao (similar to gazpacho), migas (fried bread with pork) and the most famous, lengua de toro estofada en salsa (stewed ox tongue in sauce).
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Celebrated in February.
Día de Andalucía
Celebrated the 28 February.
Fiestas de Cruz
Celebrated in May.
Romería El Rocio
Celebrated in May/June.
Celebrated in September.
Romería de Santa Brígida
Celebrated the first Sunday in October.