PALOMARES DEL RÍO
by Saskia Mier
Palomares del Río originally began as an agricultural village eventually turning into a thriving residential town due to its proximity to the capital. It has about 8,300 inhabitants.
The first historical news of the town dates back to the Roman era, who built a settlement as a result of the conquest and Romanization of the surrounding territory.
Palomares del Río later appears more clearly as sedentary population during Moorish domination, a period during which previous Roman enclaves used for agricultural exploitation, were turned in to great Haciendas (farms).
Following the evolution that Palomares del Río has undergone throughout history, the end of the Arabic name Al-Rauz meant the beginning of the Castilian conquest of the area and the implantation of rules dictated by conquerors against all Moorish vestige. The conquest of Aljarafe by Fernando III El Santo meant the division of Sevillian Señoríos.
The village was later repopulated due to the Ruta de la Plata (Silver Route) who attracted those mainly from the Cantabrian Cornice, Basque Country and Galicia, who settled in the area.
THINGS TO SEE
Iglesia Nuestra Señora de la Estrella
The Mudejar church houses a unique Baroque bell tower, also seen in the rest of the exterior dating to the eighteenth century. There is a tombstone dating from 1591 belonging to the Baena family that were very influential in the town. It is intended with different performances to leave it as an isolated building. Located on Calle Iglesia.
Arabic baths set upon an elevation of land in the eastern part of the municipality and close to the valley of the Guadalquivir. The baths dating to the twelfth and thirteenth century are not filled with water like Roman ones, but are filled with water vapour. The three rooms consist of a cold room, a warm room and a hot room, and a dressing area, joined by a transversal corridor. Located on Calle Iglesia.
The farmhouse, more traditionally known as a Hacienda, dates to the eighteenth century and is equipped with an olive mill. Today, part of the manor and oil mill is conserved with its counterweight tower. Located on Calle Iglesia.
Hacienda Casa Alegre
The Hacienda dates to the eighteenth century, equipped with a striking Baroque tower that ends in an octagonal spire. The current farmhouse, although disorderly, is the result of different eras, including the main house, agricultural buildings and the three press houses, with different towers, dating from 1812 and 1881. Located on Calle Iglesia.
Hacienda San Rafael
Hacienda San Rafael, formerly known as Hacienda del Canónigo. In 1780, it consisted of high and low main rooms, servant's quarters, patios and garden, orchard, barns, warehouses, wine cellar, olive oil mill and stables. During the twentieth century other buildings were built. In 1947, the owners sold 300 square meters to the Town Hall to construct a new building. Located on Calle Iglesia.
Hacienda Santa María
Home to the Peña Rociera, the seventeenth century farmhouse still preserves the mill warehouse, tower counterweight, courtyard and a building with small rooms. The current owner has restored the farmhouse. Located on Calle Cortinales.
THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE THE VILLAGE
There are numerous archaeological sites that have been found in the area including; Carramolo (Roman site from the thirteenth century), El Capitán (alos Roman) and La Regüela, where abundant Roman ceramic remains have been found.
Any visitor to Palomares del Río who wants to taste the typical gastronomy of the village will find a variety of Andalusian dishes on offer. Also one must take into account that the village is part of the Mosto Route and the Rice Route.
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Día de Andalucía
Celebrated the 28 Febuary.
Celebrated in February.
Ciclo de Música
Celebrated in Spring.
Celebrated the first week of September.