by Saskia Mier
Gines is an agricultural town developed by the Romans and Moors, from the original Haciendas (farms) such as the Marqués de Torrenueva or the Santo Ángel. It has about 13, 200 inhabitants.
Gines was originally founded by the Tartessians and the Romans, very much later, reused this village and called it Abnega. However, it changed during the time of Caesar in that it was renamed Vergelium Iulii Genitoris or Vergentum Iulii Genius, according to García de Diego.
The Arab occupation began at the beginning of the eighth century. In the middle of the thirteenth century, King Fernando III occupied the town and renamed it, Camero, a name that was not accepted by the population that maintained the previous one of Genis.
In the fourteenth century, it remained under Castilian dominion until it was granted to the lineage of the Zúñiga and later in the sixteenth century, passed to a member of the Guzman Family until the nineteenth century.
THINGS TO SEE
Ermita de Santa Rosalía
The chapel is one of the most emblematic buildings with the most history in Gines, dating to 1723. It contains an inscription identifying its origin and building of the chapel, initiative of Juan José del Castillo, who introduced the devotion to Santa Rosalía. Located on Calle Juan de Dios Soto.
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Belén
The Mudejar church dates to the sixteenth century and was built over the foundations of a previous one and was later restored in the eighteenth century. The beautiful tower of the church was built in 1720 and last restored in 2006. Located in Plaza de España.
Plaza de España
The main square of Gines is where the most representative buildings can be found, including the Town Hall, Hacienda Torregines, Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de Belén and Hacienda de Santa Rosalía. In 2009, the Town Hall made the square and much of Calle Real pedestrian as well as adding new urban furniture, vegetal decoration, and even an ornamental fountain.
This street corresponds with the previous vereda or cañada real (livestock route), that united Gines with other towns of the region. Here you will find, Hacienda de Liendo or Torrenueva, dating back to the beginning of the eighteenth century. You will also find on this street, Casas de las Hermandades Locales Sacramental y Virgen del Rocío (Brotherhoods).
Monumento a la Virgen del Rocío
The monument was made in honour of the Virgen del Rocío and was inaugurated on 15 January 1978, when it was blessed by the then Auxiliary Bishop of Seville, Rafael Bellido Caro. The image was made at the Santa Ana de Triana Ceramic Workshops, and was erected on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Brotherhood of Rocío de Gines. Located on Paseo Juan de Dios Soto.
Plaza de la Merced
The square is also known as, "La Placita" and was built between 1947 and 1948. In the centre there is an image of the Heart of Jesus, by a sculptor from Castilleja de la Cuesta called Blanco, which was inaugurated on 1 June 1958. The title of "La Merced" comes given because the Gran Casa de La Merced of Seville was the owner of these lands.
Hacienda Santo Ángel
The Hacienda, more popularly known as El Molino, dates back to the eighteenth century. The farm, along with many others, ruled the economic life of the town during the nineteenth and twentieth century's producing olive oil. It has deteriorated greatly over the years, however, the Town Hall is planning to restore it and transform it into their new Headquarters. Located in Plaza de España.
Hacienda de Santa Rosalía
Another Hacienda dating to the eighteenth century, once owned by, Don Juan Jose del Castillo, Mayor of Gines, who built the Ermita de Santa Rosalía. Later it was owned by, Maria Martín, Founder of the Brotherhood of Nuestra Virgen del Rocío of Gines in 1928 until 1940. The entire Hacienda was bought in 1939 by, Don Manuel Hurtado Payán, who transformed it into a home before selling it on to, Don Manuel Pavón. In 1940, Don Manuel Pavón opened a winery in the Hacienda known as, "El Tronío". In 1970 it was made into a restaurant until 2002. Finally in 2011, it was transformed into the House of Culture, equipped with Municipal Public Library, Municipal School of Music, and a theatre. Located in Plaza de España.
Hacienda de Torregines
One of the oldest Haciendas in the town dating to 1412, now completely modified and, according to its former owners, was founded by, Count Baños, in 1699. Currently it holds the Recreative Cultural Circle Ginense (Casino) that acquired part of the property, restoring and conserving the counterbalance tower of the mill.
Dishes to try when visiting Gines include, aceitunas aliñadas (homegrown olives) which either come in brine or are slightly seasoned, guisos de patatas (potato stews), carne a la brasa (bbq meats), bacalao con tomate (cod with tomato), potaje de garbanzo (chickpea stew) and gazpacho. Sweet treats consist of pestiños (honey pastries) and torrijas (eggy bread).
Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of 5 January.
Celebrated in February.
Procesión de la Candelaria
Celebrated the 5 Febuary.
Entierro de la Sardina
Celebrated the 11 March.
Pregón Joven de Semana Santa de Gines
Celebrated the 15 March.
Festival Internacional de Cortometrajes "Gines en Corto"
Film festival celebrated the 20-23 April.
Perolá "Encuentro de guisos del Camino"
Celebrated the 23 April.
Pregón Joven del Rocío de Gines
Celebrated the 26 April.
Pregón del Rocío de Gines
Celebrated the 10 May.
Celebrated the 9 July.
Romería de San Gines
Pilgrimage celebrated the 4 September.
Una Pará en Gines
An agricultural and livestock fair celebrated at the end of September.
Procesión de Nuestra Señora del Rosario y Santa Rosalía
Celebrated the 8 October.
Día de la Constitución y Concurso de Paellas
Paella competition celebrated the 6 December.
Mercado Medieval y Navideño
Medieval and Christmas market celebrated at the beginning of December.
Search Hotels in Gines