by Saskia Mier

Tomares is an agricultural suburban town of Seville, inhabited by many who look to live outside the city but close enough to commute to the centre for work. It has about 24, 800 inhabitants.


Tomares is home to a series of settlements and archaeological vestiges that are evidence of prolonged occupation of the area.

During the Roman era, it was part of the territory of Osset Iulia Constantia. A statue of the goddess Minerva was found in the nineteenth century and donated in 1889 to the Archaeological Museum of Seville.

After the conquest of Seville by Fernando III, his son, Alfonso X, donated it to the Council of Seville, among others. As from the Castilian conquest, Tomares was realengo, and its term encompassed the whole of the Aljarafe that dominated Seville.

In 1627, Tomares was alienated from the crown in favour of Count Duque de Olivares, forming part of his Lordship, and governed by a Lieutenant Governor. In 1891 the eastern part of the area was segregated to form the present, San Juan del Aznalfarache.


Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Belén
The church was constructed in 1708 consisting of two carvings of great artistic and sentimental value, dating from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Both are of unknown author. Located on Calle Navarro Caro.

Hacienda de Santa Ana (Ayuntamiento)
The farmhouse was built by the Count-Duke of Olivares during the eighteenth century, with two different areas; one for oil production and another manor house completed with a magnificent garden. The property has been totally restored by Sevillian architect, Guillermo Vázquez Consuegra, resulting in a perfect balance between contemporary and rustic architecture. Currently the offices of the Town Hall. Located on Calle de la Fuente.

Hacienda de Montefuerte
Built in the seventeenth century for olive oil production. The patio, Patio de Caballerizas, was the nucleus of the village, while the Torre Montefuerte (lookout tower) served as a counterweight for the oil mill. It is currently the Municipal Library "José Mª Delgado Buiza". Located on Calle Navarro Caro.

Hacienda de la Cartuja
The oldest Hacienda in Tomares, built after the arrival of the Carthusian monks to Seville, around 1400. It was their place of refuge during the great falls that often originated the Guadalquivir River. Now renovated, is currently a centre for higher education of Fundación el Monte. Located on Avenida del Aljarafe.

Hacienda del Carmen
Built during the eighteenth century in the same place previously occupied by a Muslim farmhouse, the remains are integrated in the interior of the urbanisation "Hacienda El Carmen".

Hacienda Santa Eufemia
Built during the seventeenth century with unique patios and gardens, it was later restored in 1985 to hold events, more specifically, weddings. Located on Calle El Molino.

Hacienda Zaudín Alto
Currently home to the Zaudin Golf Course. Located on Camino de Villamanrique


Golfing enthusiasts should know that the only course in Tomares is the 18 hole Zaudin Golf Course which provides a great game for experienced players and novices alike.


Tomares has no specific gastronomy to name apart from the traditional dishes found in the Aljarafe area.


Cabalgata Reyes Magos
Three Kings procession celebrated on the evening of the 5 January.

Celebrated in February.

Día de Andalucía
Celebrated the 28 February.

Semana Santa
Holy Week.

Romería de San Sebastián y Cruces de Mayo
Celebrated in May.

Velás de Las Almenas y del Camino Viejo
Celebrated during the summer months.

Celebrated in September.


The next villages to Tomares are Bormujos, San Juan del Aznalfarache and Castilleja de la Cuesta.


Hover the cursor over Tomares to see bigger map and click to go to the maps page.