OLD RAILWAY STATION
The land for the station was acquired in 1880 and the work on the old station began by the Compañía de los Caminos de Hierro del Sur de España in 1890 and was completed in 1893 although the inauguration ceremony did not happen until the 23 of July 1895 with the line Guadix to Almería.
It is a perfect example of nineteenth century architecture in iron and glass. Inside the station clock was manufactured by Paul Garnier. The objective of the line was to transport minerals form the Sierra Morena to the port of Almeria although it was also use for transport of the goods and passengers. This is logical as the visitor can see the adjacent Cable Ingles which was where the minerals were loaded onto ships.
During the civil war, a Nazi bombing in support of General Franco destroyed the glass frontage, the clock and the steel balustrade were destroyed. The balustrade was replaced in 1970 by another in brick. This was removed during the rehabilitation works of 2017 and substituted with another more like the original.
In 1984 a pedestrian bridge was constructed to unite the station area and the coastal district of the town which wad been separated for years by the railway line. It was popularly known as the red bridge. During reforms in 1988-1991 an entrance to an air raid shelter was discovered underneath. .
It is believed that the designer of the station building was Laurent Farge, who also looked after the construction. The central iron body and the glass work were designed by the French company Fives-Lille.
The process to declare the building of Bien de Interés cultural (listed status) began in 1985 and has not yet been completed.
It ceased to be used as a train station in 2005 and remained closed until 2019. Restoration work is underway for it to be come a cultural space and function hall. The popular 'red bridge' is to be painted white.