|The emblematic Estepona clock tower|
by David Wood and Chris Wawn
Estepona like so many villages in Southern Spain was fought over by the moors and the Christians until it was finally captured by the Enrique IV of Castile in 1457. He ordered the building of a church on the site of the old Mosque.
The church was completed around 1473. it is the oldest ecclesiastical building on the Costa del Sol, but today only the clock tower survives. In the 18th Century a neo-classical dome was added.
Inevitably since the site is now a school, the square is usually noisy and seems to be a popular choice for the playing of football.
GPS Location: 36º 25' 31'' N 5º 08' 47'' W