Chilches is a small town about one kilometer form the coast located in the extreme west of the municipality of Vélez-Málaga, in the Eastern Costa del Sol. it has a population of about 4.000 inhabitants.
Chilches beginings date back to Roman times. Its Roman name was Cicer a reference to the chickpea plantations found there. Following sucessive invasions, Chilches became a Visigoth settlement, and later an Islamic one when its name was Arabicized to the current Chilches. After the reconquest in 1492 Chilches area was distributed among the nobles who had fought in the battle: namely Count Manrique de Lara and Marquis Garcí Fernández Manrique.
Until the 19th century, Chilches was a dependent of the town of Macharaviaya. Neighboring Vélez-Málaga, had been growing during the 19th century and annex the districts of Arroyo de Santillán, Iberos and Benajarafe. On August 31, 1868, Vélez-Málaga absorbed Chilches as well.
On October 16, 1995, Chilches began the procedure to be constituted as an Autonomous Local Entity, under Velez-Malaga. this was agreed by the Junta de Andalucía on 4 April 2006.
Playa de chilches is a 2.500m long and a narrow 20m beach next to the N-340 road. There are several urbanizations in the area which is where most of the beachgoers live. There are beach bars and sunbeds available. Parking beside the road.
The local buses connect Chilches with the towns of Málaga, Vélez-Málaga, Nerja, Periana, Riogordo and Almayate. Lines are:
M-364 Málaga-Periana, M-365 Málaga-Riogordo.
Chilches is 12 km from Vélez-Málaga and 20 km from Malaga city