Seville City - Fascinating Fact 6
Here is a facts that you may or may not know about the city, whether you´re visiting Seville for the first time, you´re a seasoned expert, or you live here. Films, fruit, sport, history, religion and politics - tasty titbits for everyone to savour
6) SEVILLE´S SIGN OF THE TIMES
Visitors to Seville will notice a symbol on many signs around the city, from taxis and buses to sewer covers, consisting of the letters ´NO8DO´. This is the city´s logo, and legend says that it originates from the 13th-century coat of arms awarded to Sevilla by King Alfonso X the Wise. He bestowed it in gratitude for Seville´s support in his battles against his son, Sancho IV of Castile, who wanted to usurp his father´s throne during the Reconquest. Between the ´NO and ´DO´ is an 8-shaped bundle of wool (madeja in Spanish). Add the three together, speaking in Seville´s fast, elliptical accent and you have ´no-madeja-do´, more correctly, ´no me ha dejado´ which means ´it (the city) has not abandoned me´. The motto was his reward to the people of Seville for their loyalty.
Seville City - More Fascinating Facts
- Fact 1 - Sevillano pride and predudice.
- Fact 2 - Sevilla on the sliver screen.
- Fact 3 - Anyone for tapas?
- Fact 4 - Three Roman emperors were born just outside Seville.
- Fact 5 - Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition in Seville.
- Fact 6 - Seville's sign of the times.
- Fact 7 - The Cathedral-Colombus controversy.
- Fact 8 - The six bridges of Seville's Expo.
- Fact 9 - Oranges and Lemons.
- Fact 10 - Two faces of Seville. Seville City - Fascinating Facts - Home