Well-known as the place where sherry that classic English tipple, is produced, Jerez is also equally famous both for its horses and its flamenco. Situated in the province of Cadiz, and larger than its capital city, it is only 20km from the coast, but has an aristocratic, anglophile atmosphere all of its own. A major event in Jerez's annual calendar is the colourful, lively Vendimia (Grape Harvest) Festival in September.
- Fact 1 - We all know what it's most famous for today, but did you know that Jerez can trace its origins - and its name - back to Roman times?
- Fact 2 - Want to see how sherry is made? Then get thee to a bodega, or even a museum
- Fact 3 - The British have had a presence in Jerez for centuries
- Fact 4 - The elegant horse-rider (jinete), wearing his grey suit with cropped jacket and wide-brimmed hat, is a classic Jerez image
- Fact 5 - Home to Lola Flores, the city has a strong flamenco tradition