Cutting-edge urban cool in plum position: right opposite the cathedral, with Michelin-starred restaurant and uber-trendy rooftop bar.
The EME Catedral was Seville's first designer hotel when it opened in 2008. With gold unisex loos, central patio with Arabic lattice celosia screen and 54 totally different rooms, it's in a class of its own; sophisticated but accessible. Some rooms have a view of the Giralda, while if you want to seriously splash out, the suites have private entrance, 24-hour butler and their own roof terrace with jacuzzi and/or pool.
|Hotel EME Catedral|
Famous guests include James Blunt (penthouse suite, of course), while Kofi Annan and Al Gore have both dined in the Michelin-starred restaurant, Santo, now presided over by Martin Berasategui. Rooms feature free-standing baths, four-poster beds and original wooden roof beams; they vary considerably in size (the hotel is made up of 14 houses). There's a spa offering treatments, and a rooftop pool with popular bar, with stunning cathedral views. For a more down-to-earth drink, the ground-floor 20 Pasos bar is great for people-watching, right opposite the cathedral, while Japo offers Asian fusion. And since you're in Seville, you have to tapear - Milagritos, with its red-and-black colour scheme, offers traditional tapas with a great terrace spitting distance from the Giralda itself. One of the private function rooms has a glass floor looking down onto Roman ruins.
- The food is superb in terms of both quality and variety: modern Med, Asian and tapas all under one roof.
- Note that rooms vary greatly in size, and can be noisy
- Soak up the street atmosphere without having to leave the hotel, in the portico bar
- Valet parking is available, but arriving along Seville's narrow streets is not for the faint-hearted
- Service is somewhat inconsistent, ranging from excellent to adequate
- Free WIFI
- 5 star hotel
Best for: party animals, gastronomes, fans of cutting-edge design
Address: Alemanes, 27, Casco Antiguo, 41004 Sevilla
View EME catedral hotel in a larger map