Iglesia de San José - Cadiz
The church was the first to be built outside the city walls, that is, in the part of the city that is outside the Puertas de Tierra and the traditional historical center of the city.
It was built by the architect, Torcuato Cayón de la Vega, on the site where a chapel had previously stood. After the death of Torcuato Cayón (1783), the works were continued by his godson and disciple, the academic and neoclassical architect, Torcuato Benjumeda.
Torcuato Benjumeda and the sculptor, Cosme Velázquez, erected the main altar in the form of a temple, in the center of the presbytery, with the choir located behind. They also built the side altars, all of which disappeared on the afternoon of July 17, 1936, when the church was burnt down.
The Iglesia de San José was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1979.
Located on Calle Real next to Plaza San José.