Gran Teatro Manuel de Falla
The theatre is one of the most popular and emblematic buildings in the city. It stands on the site occupied by a earlier wooden theatre designed by Manuel García del Álamo in 1870 and which burned down in a dawn fire on August 6, 1881.
The Theatre’s reconstruction began in 1884 with a project by Adolfo Morales de los Ríos and Adulfo del Castillo. In 1886, the City Council took over the management of the works, but a shortage of funds caused works to stop on several occasions and it was not completed until 1910. This final phase was under the he direction of the municipal architect, Juan Cabrera de la Torre, who modified the original project.
The theater is in the Neo-Mudejar style and its four façades are a characteristic red brick (the house of “coloured bricks”, as it is sometimes called).
In 1990 the theatre was completely restored by the architects, José Antonio Carvajal and Rafael Otero González, and was reopened on 18 October 1990 in a ceremony that was chaired by H.M. Queen Sofia.
Carnival - SINGING GROUPS COMPETITION
The main venue for the Carnival singing groups contest is the Gran Teatro de Falla.
The singing competition (COAC, Concurso Official de Agrupaciones Carnavalescas) is the central event of the pre-Carnaval, with four types of groups taking part - chirigotas, choros, cuartetos and comparsas. About 300 groups in total enter the contest.
The competition is held during the 20 days before the Carnival, in four stages: preliminaries, quarter-finals, semi-finals, and final. It finishes on the vispera of the Carnaval, the night before the official opening of Cadiz's biggest street-party. Some of the groups play on carruseles (floats) around the old centre on the following weekends, as the Carnaval proper kicks off.
Located in Plaza Fragela.