Oratorio de San Feligo Neri, Cadiz
The original simple chapel here was founded by a Philippine community around the year 1671. Transformation began in the year 1688 at the hands of the master builder, Blas Díaz, and were finished for its inauguration in 1719.
However, important elements such as its original dome must have been damaged by the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755, so its reconstruction was undertaken by the master builder, Pedro Luis Gutiérrez de San Martín and finished in 1764. The architects Vicente Acero and Gaspar Cayón participated in these works together with the sculptors and decorators Luis Antonio de los Arcos, Juan Fagundo, Jerónimo Barbás and the Italian painter Brinardelli.
In 1775, further reforms were carried out that notably covered the early ornamentations, since then the mural paintings and the gilding of the pilasters disappeared. Some have since been recovered.
Some works were also carried out in this church during the nineteenth century, including increasing the number of side chapels from five to six.
The interior of the temple is oval in shape, according to Professor Miguel Martínez del Cerro, the Roman church of San Jacomé del Corso was taken as a model for its construction. The roof is formed by a large dome with three concentric ellipses and the temple is surrounded by a triple balcony. The construction must have been expensive, since most of the marble used was brought from Genoa.
On the main alter is an Immaculate Conception by Murillo, the great Sevillian artist who in 1682 fell to his death from a scaffolding while working on his Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine in the Chapel of Santa Catalina
Since 1807 the Church annually hosts services to celebrate El día de la Inmaculada, and El día de San Juan.
A place of pilgrimage for democracy-loving Spaniards, since it was here where a group of radicals gathered in 1812 to proclaim a liberal constitution of Spain and it was here that the Cortes of Cadiz (parliament) met when the rest of Spain was subjected to the rule of Napoleon's brother, Joseph Bonaparte, more popularly known as Pepe Botella for the love of the bottle. Its exterior is covered with commemorative shields to honour the occasion, and to mark the 1st centennary of the Cortes of Cádiz, the bicentennary celebrations were held in 2012. More about 'La Pepa' 1812 Constitution.
There is an adjoining museum which gives more information about the Cortes of Cádiz, and the radicals of 1812.
Price: 1.50 EUR
Tel: 956 21 16 12
Calle Santa Ines.